Central West Skills Roundtable
On Wednesday 22 February, 2012 a diverse group of over sixty education, industry and community representatives met in Orange to identify current and future regional skills needs for the Central West region.
The group identified the following critical themes as the basis for short and medium term attention:
- A focus on literacy and numeracy, especially in industry.
- Greater collaboration on cross-sector training.
- Better matching of aspirations to opportunities.
- Improving career advice supporting career advisors and associated networks.
- Extending emerging opportunities associated with trade training centres.
- Communication/awareness around job, skill and education opportunities.
- Engaging parents in young peoples learning.
- Attitudinal change promoting lifelong learning.
- A special focus on the first job.
A number of specific activities were identified under the critical themes listed above and were implemented by interested agencies, under the auspices of the existing Centacare Partnership Brokers Region 19 Governing Committee. The Committee discussed the Roundtable actions and the next step in forming project working groups.
The initial working groups include:
- Literacy and Numeracy – A resources map for this area to be generated and distributed
- Cross Sector Collaboration
- Aspiration to opportunity / career advisers and associated networks / engaging parents (focus on primary school level)/ communication of opportunities / parental engagement / a special focus on the first job
An Executive has been formed to administer / support the group. The Executive will consist of Partnership Brokers, RDA, DEC, DEEWR, Catholic Ed, a Business and Industry Representative and a Community Organisation Representative. The group will be responsible for development and delivery of communication protocols, marketing, meeting administration and will work across the broader group as well each subgroup.
Download the Central West Skills Project document.